10/22/2015

Descriptive Picture essay!

Descriptive Picture essay!

A Peaceful Prayer from a Patient Man
          Peacefulness, patience, and perseverance: these words describe what is currently happening. An old, bearded man rests himself on a frayed chair and leans on a table. Combed with care, his well-groomed hair tells a tale of wisdom. For today’s chilly winter weather, he wears a dark green-plaid flannel jacket to warm himself. In a primitive bowl which lies on the table, stew steams a beefy-smelling air. Bounding in from the window, the morning sunlight shines through the window; shadows bounce from wall to wall. Birds chirping, bees buzzing, and butterflies flutter just outside the window; a new day begins. Along with the stew, a dry piece of sourdough bread patiently waits to be cut with the knife sitting on the table; the man still prays. His Bible together with his round-rimmed glasses also resides on the table. With folded hands and with elbows resting on the table, he mumbles inaudible words to God. Although his stomach rumbles, he exerts patience and perseveres to pray to his Father in Heaven.


Writing this essay was difficult because I had a very strict set of rules. Not only did I have to write about a specific picture and ONLY what was in that picture, I had to write with 200-250 words. I started writing Tuesday which was a huge mistake; although, I couldn’t write on Saturday or Sunday because I had a robotics tournament and other homework. My class starts Wednesday at 6:45, so I have absolutely no time to turn it in before class. My first draft was amazing, and I thought “This is good! I only need fifty more words!” But since I described all the things in the picture previously, this was an extremely difficult task. Eventually, I added some things that made the essay worse, but got me a better grade.

1 comment:

  1. I hate word restrictions! I always feel like my writing is worse when I have them. Sometimes there is so much to describe and depict, and other times art just begs for a simple description of what is there.

    ReplyDelete